Written By: Ishton W. Morton – August 24th, 2019
According to an August 23rd, 2019 News Bite by WLWT TV5 investigator Todd Dykes who said the Doctor who treated 25-year-old Cody Slagle is convinced the chemicals in e-cigarette device played a crucial critical role in seriousness that caused him to be admitted to The Jewish Hospital Mercy Health in Sycamore Township.
Reportedly, Cody Slagle said he knew he was in serious trouble when he was admitted as a patient at The Jewish Hospital Mercy Health in Sycamore Township.
He continued to say, “I just couldn’t get up. I couldn’t even go to the bathroom on my own. I just remember sitting here thinking to myself, like, ’cause I just had a daughter. You know what I mean? And that was, like, probably the worst thing, like, thinking that I’m going to die.”
Amazingly, Dr. Imran Naqvi who treated Slagle at Jewish Hospital had this to say, “I was surprised that he got as bad as he did.”
However, Slagle said; after he took his last puff from a widely available vaping device what helped him to survive this serious health scare was him focusing on his baby girl and his wife.
Apparently, vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the aerosol, which is often referred to as vapor, that is produced by an e-cigarette or similar device. The term is used because e-cigarettes do not produce tobacco smoke, but rather an aerosol, often mistaken for water vapor, that actually consists of fine particles. Many of these particles contain varying amounts of toxic chemicals, which have been linked to cancer, as well as respiratory and heart disease.
Unfortunately, vaping has grown in popularity due to the rise of e-cigarettes, which were introduced into the mass market in the U.S. in 2007. Vaping devices include not just e-cigarettes, vape pens and advanced personal vaporizers (also known as ‘MODS’).
Regrettably e-cigarettes, which resemble smoked cigarettes, and vape pens, which resemble large fountain pens, are typically simpler in design and less expensive than devices that have been customized by the user.
According to Slagle; “When I came here, I had full pneumonia in both of my lungs.”
Make no mistake, pneumonia is a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection of one or both sides of the lungs. It causes the air sacs, or alveoli, of the lungs to be fill with fluid or pus.
However, its symptoms can be mild or severe and may include a cough with phlegm (a slimy substance), fever, chills, and enormous trouble breathing. Many factors affect how serious pneumonia is, such as the type of germ causing the lung infection, your age, and your overall health.
Also, pneumonia tends to be more serious for children under the age of five, adults over the age of 65, people with certain conditions such as heart failure, diabetes, or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), or people who have weak immune systems due to HIV/AIDS, chemotherapy (a treatment for cancer), or organ or blood and marrow stem cell transplant procedures.
Subsequently, treatment will depends on whether bacteria, viruses, or fungi are causing your pneumonia. If bacteria are causing your pneumonia, usually you may be treated at home with oral antibiotics. However, most people respond quickly to treatment. If symptoms worsen then you should see a doctor instantaneously. If you have severe symptoms or underlying health problems, you may need to be treated in a hospital. It may take several weeks to recover from pneumonia.
The overwhelming question is; who in their right mind will continuously participate in such devious health disintegrating practices.
A simple law of physics states that, despite chemical reactions or physical transformations, mass is conserved and that is, it cannot be created or destroyed within an isolated system. In other words, in a chemical reaction, the mass of the products will always be equal to the mass of the reactants. Therefore all that chemical that is being infused into the system must go or stays some place. Chances are it will stay in the body.
Nonetheless, initially Naqvi and his team of health care professionals were overwhelmingly surprised when Slagle did not respond to antibiotics. Sadly, Naqvi quickly realized 25 Slagle year-old may be part of an alarming national trend involving e-cigarettes and possibly and their lung related injuries.
Not to be cynical, I profoundly believe if God intended for me to smoke he would have place a smokestack up-side our heads.
Nonetheless Naqvi s had this to say; “Since this has been getting a lot of publicity, this was in the back of my mind as well, just because the pattern of his lung injury was a little different,” Shortly thereafter Naqvi gave Slagle a high dose of steroids.
Reportedly, Slagle said; “Within 10 minutes of getting the steroids, I could literally feel my body finally wanting … like I wanted to eat, I wanted to get up.”
“I’d be a fool to say it’s not Naqvi said. “Your body has a unique way to respond to those chemicals. The way his body responded to those chemicals, it caused a cascade of inflammatory markers to go through the roof, the same way infection would. We don’t have enough studies out there – animal studies, human studies – to know what exactly these chemicals are doing and how your body is going to respond to these chemicals.”
According to WLWT TV5 News, Todd Dykes who first broke the news said; “because of a lack of independent verification they are not identifying the vaping product that Slagle used to be the cause of his problem.”
Moreover in contrast the company behind the product released the following statement in response to Dykes’ request for comment:
In accordance with, “We take product safety seriously, which is why we have implemented industry-leading quality controls and appropriately label our products with ingredient disclosures and health warnings. Our device and manufacturing facilities are subject to numerous quality and certification standards and we conduct extensive preclinical and toxicological testing of the ingredients and analytes in (our) e-liquids and aerosols. Our testing is conducted through reputable, independent third-party laboratories, and shared with relevant regulatory bodies.
“We are also aggressively enforcing our intellectual property rights against manufacturers of counterfeit and pod-compatible vapor products who flood the market with unauthorized and unregulated items. These products, often marketed in violation of FDA laws, regulations, and policies, represent a pressing unknown factor: they may be made with unknown ingredients and under unknown manufacturing and quality standards. As to this particular reported event, we do not have any details beyond what is being reported by the media, including what or whose products were actually consumed. We will continue to vigilantly monitor for any evidence of safety issues.”
Slagle, who started using e-cigarettes to quit smoking, he confirmed that he was a heavy vaper, using approximately a pod-and-a-half a day, which he said is like smoking a pack of cigarettes. But that was his norm, which made his illness feel like it came out of the blue.
The good thing is the 25-year-old Cody Slagle has come to understand his wrongfulness and have said he’s now done with vaping. Halleluiah! Praises and thanks to God!